As I said in my previous article Smart Little Video Explaining How Vaccines work, science should make better use of art to present its most difficult principles because they (science and art) are similar in their intention, which is to explain something.
I need to clarify that this post’s content does not imply that art or imagination is more important than knowledge, nor that art takes precedence over the scientific method. Many argue that Albert Einstein claimed that knowledge was unnecessary, which misrepresents his stance on science and philosophy and is likely an attempt to diminish the value of formal education.
That is simply not what I believe, and can guarantee the same from Albert when you read his work in the right context.
Here are 10 quotes about the beautiful and complicated relationship between art and science.
1. Sciences provide an understanding of a universal experience, Arts are a universal understanding of a personal experience… they are both a part of us and a manifestation of the same thing… the arts and sciences are avatars of human creativityMae C. Jamison
2. The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.Albert Einstein, The World As I See It
3. Art and science have so much in common – the process of trial and error, finding something new and innovative, and to experiment and succeed in a breakthrough.Peter M. Brant
4. A science or an art may be said to be “useful” if its development increases, even indirectly, the material well-being and comfort of men, it promotes happiness, using that word in a crude and commonplace way.G. H. Hardy
5. Aeroplanes are not designed by science, but by art in spite of some pretence and humbug to the contrary. I do not mean to suggest that engineering can do without science, on the contrary, it stands on scientific foundations, but there is a big gap between scientific research and the engineering product which has to be bridged by the art of the engineer.John D. North
6. Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realise that everything connects to everything else.Leonardo da Vinci
7. Every science begins as philosophy and ends as art.Will Durant
8. Science and art belong to the whole world, and before them banish the barriers of nationality.Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
9. In many ways science and art are profoundly similar. The best of each rise up from the depths of human creativity, nurtured by an individual’s commitment and passion to the discipline. In common parlance, we are equally likely to hear (or say ourselves)Neil deGrasse TysonShe’s got it down to a scienceorHe’s raised it to an art.
10. Science should make better use of art to present its most difficult principles because they (science and art) are similar in their intention, which is to explain something important about the world.Me, The Devil Unbound
DISCLAIMER: These snippets are not endorsements of the contributors’ worldview, only an appreciation of their immediate content and meaning about the important relationship between art and science.
— The Devil Unbound